Highlights and Decisions
At this semi-annual Governing Board meeting of the Council, we:
- Shared church news and challenges and supported one another in prayer and song.
- Received the full package of governance and program reports from all bodies of the Council.
- Appointed Pastor Peter Noteboom to another five-year term as General Secretary.
- Affirmed the decision of the Executive Committee to respond positively to the request from the Church Council on Justice and Corrections (CCJC) to merge.
- Welcomed the Order of St Lazarus (Canada) as an Affiliate of the Canadian Council of Churches.
- Adopted the 2022 audited financial statements and reappointed Graham Matthews Professional Corporation as auditor for 2022.
- Adopted a revised 2023 budget and agreed on a pathway to a rigorous review of the 2024 budget and beyond.
- Gained insight into the religious situation in Quebec concerning secularism, laïcité, and pluralism from presentations by Prof. Gilles Routhier and Prof. Solange Lefebvre.
- Were led in prayer and song by leaders in the Armenian and Coptic Orthodox traditions; the Community of Christ, and the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada.
- Participated in Bible study, faith sharing, and reflection on Acts 11, led by Paul-André Giguère, with members of the local interdenominational Christian Council.
- Learned about the details and foundations of Bill-21 from a presentation by MNA Jean-François Simard and engaged with him by asking questions and sharing comments.
- Celebrated Dr. Mary Marrocco and her work with the Council with words of appreciation and gratitude from General Secretary Peter Noteboom, Pastor Tim Reimer, and Sister Dr. Donna Geernaert.
- Heard from young adults on the subject of l’Église au Québec aujourd’hui.
- Proposed the gift sets and capacities needed for the next Executive Committee/Officers in the 2024-27 triennium.
- Visited the Islamic Cultural Centre and Grand Mosque in Sainte-Foy, participated in a tour and a community interfaith conversation, and attended prayers.
- Were challenged by presentations from Cardinal Gérald C. Lacroix, Archbishop of Quebec and Primate of Canada, Rev. Darla Sloan (United Church of Canada), Jean-Yves Cossette (University of Laval), and the Anglican Bishop of Quebec, the Rt. Rev. Bruce Myers on the topic of Synodalité et l’église au Québec demain.
The next meeting of the Governing Board is scheduled to take place November 15-17, 2023 at Queen of Apostles Renewal Centre, Mississauga.